COACH Member Webinar: Ontario Shores Webinar
Along with assisting in the development of the Provincial quality standards (one of two funding components of the Health System Funding Reform) for mental health, Ontario Shores will ensure that its Clinical Practice Guideline implementation is aligned with the Provincial Quality Standards in preparation for the implementation of quality standards in Mental Health which are likely to be implemented provincially in 2017-18. In 2016-17, Ontario Shores implemented quality standards for schizophrenia, depression, and dementia with behavioural disturbance, which provided an opportunity for:
- Aligning incentives to facilitate adoption of best clinical evidence-informed practices;
- Appropriately reducing variation in costs and practice across the province while improvement outcomes; and
- Ensuring we are advancing right care, at the right place, at the right time.
The implementation included the following:
- Completion of a gap analysis assessment between the CPG as implemented at Ontario Shores and the Quality Standards developed in these areas of focus;
- Identification of gaps and implementation where required to align with the quality standards;
- Development of recommendations for priorities of focus with regards to adherence and outcome measures;
- Development of a measurement plan including specification of measures of success for 2016-2017 for the priority areas of focus;
- Development and implementation of change management plan(s) as needed to achieve the targets as defined in the measurement plan,
- Monitoring adherence and improving adherence, where applicable, to the clinical practice guidelines/Quality Standards implemented;
- Monitoring research related to adherence to clinical practice guidelines and clinical outcomes to inform work going forward; and
- Development and implementation of the next phase(s) of the evaluation/research plan, including exploration around incorporating patient reported outcome and experience measures.