Call To Action
Annual Standards Reminder – Past Due
The FY15 Chapter Annual Standards Reports were due on July 31. Chapters that have not submitted annual standards report or formally requested an extension could be subject to probation, and risk good standing status with HIMSS. Please contact Chapter Staff with questions regarding this report. In addition, please make sure to send new board lists to upload in the HIMSS membership database. This may affect leadership activity communication to new board members.
HIMSS Chapter Awards
The HIMSS Awards Program recognizes outstanding leadership in industry service, service to HIMSS, chapter activity, and publications. All chapters are encouraged to participate in the HIMSS Awards program, specifically the HIMSS Chapter of the Year Award. Any chapter board officer or committee member can apply for the Chapter of the Year Award on behalf of the chapter, although HIMSS suggest a collaborative effort from all board members.
This award is designed to recognize chapters who have connected in a meaningful way with health IT entities and initiatives in the designated geographic region. Chapters must be in good-standing with HIMSS in order to apply. Consistent with previous years, this will be formally awarded at the 2016 HIMSS Annual Conference and Exhibition to one large, one medium and one small chapter of HIMSS.
Don’t forget to nominate a deserving peer for the HIMSS Chapter Leader of the Year Award. The Chapter Leader of the Year Award recognizes an individual who demonstrates significant leadership, extraordinary contributions to HIMSS Chapters, the society and a commitment to the health IT industry. Nominations for HIMSS Chapter Awards are currently open, but will close Friday, Aug. 28. (Update, deadline is extended to 5 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 31).
National HIT Week
National Health IT Week (New Date: Oct. 5-9) is a partner-driven awareness week focusing on the value of health IT. The week is made up of local, regional and national events that offer all healthcare stakeholders an opportunity to unite in support of the benefits that health IT can bring to U.S. healthcare. There is no better time for the health IT community to come together under one umbrella to raise national awareness.
There is no cost for National Health IT Week 2015 partnership; however, organizations must be HIMSS members, therefore, all chapters are listed as partners. HIMSS will provide updates on events during the week, and participation will be highlighted in HIMSS promotions across the industry.
Chapter action items:
HIMSS Chapter Advocacy
HIMSS mobilizes its members to successfully accomplish multiple levels of advocacy activities that are fueled by its members’ passion and experience. Chapters are encouraged to designate one or more members to act as a “lead” for advocacy events, campaigns and outreach initiatives. Generally given the title “Chapter Advocate,” these leaders are also often identified as Advocacy Chairs, Advocacy Co-Chairs or Advocacy Liaison.
Chapter Advocates across the United States connect with one another through the Chapter Advocacy Roundtable (CAR). The CAR is open to any HIMSS Member interested in advocacy and willing to volunteer time to support HIMSS advocacy initiatives at the grassroots level. Through monthly conference calls, meetings and annual events, the CAR provides a networking and educational opportunity for Chapter Advocates. To learn more, contact Jeff Coughlin, senior director, federal affairs, government relations, or Chapter Staff.
HIMSS Policy Summit
Across the nation, health IT stakeholders will participate in National Health IT Week, Oct. 5-9. Chapters have the opportunity to be directly involved by participating in the HIMSS Policy Summit in Washington, DC, where members can:
- Learn about health IT policy issues, priorities, and challenges
- Develop effective communication strategies when meeting with legislators
- Engage with Members of Congress on health IT policy
- Have a real impact on the policymaking process
Don’t forget to join the 2015 HIMSS Policy Summit during NHIT week on Oct.7 and 8 at the Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill (note the new location). Agenda items include: Health IT Policy Town Hall, the National Health IT Week Partners Reception, a Congressional Panel, the Health IT Technology and Interoperability Showcase, as well as refreshments and networking opportunities. Register by Sept. 7.
HIMSS Chapter Advocacy Roundtable (CAR) Offsite Meeting
Wednesday, October 7, 1:00 pm
Location: Hyatt Regency - TBD
Each year, Chapter Advocates gather for a face-to-face meeting and advocacy training session during Policy Summit. The offsite provides an opportunity for new and returning members to discuss the roundtable’s mission and responsibilities, how education and outreach takes form throughout the year and gain valuable insight from a state official on their needs and interests.
Make sure to save the dates: February 29 – March 4, 2016 in Las Vegas for the 2016 HIMSS Annual Conference & Exhibition.
- Chapter Receptions – chapters can submit a request for a chapter event at conference. HIMSS will confirm the date, time and location in early November. Please fill out the HIMSS16 Chapter Reception Survey by Oct. 16.
- Chapter Leadership Workshop – The training on Monday, Feb. 29 from 2:00 – 4:30 p.m. pacific time, in the convention center, is open to all chapter leaders. Registration Forthcoming.
- Chapters have the opportunity to host a table at the HIMSS Community Open House pending space availability – Wednesday, March 2, 5:30-6:30 p.m. pacific time, in the convention center. Sign up information will be coming soon.
- Schedule at a Glance HIMSS will provide an overview of some of the activities at HIMSS16
- Promote HIMSS16 and chapter membership – HIMSS is creating a chapter marketing toolkit to help spread the word —HIMSS16 is for all healthcare professionals. This information will be available soon.
- Registration and Housing - HIMSS encourages members to take advantage of the early bird member discount that will end Dec. 14. Register early and save. For best hotel options, book a hotel today.
- As a token of appreciation, HIMSS offers all chapter leaders a $100 discount off one regular individual HIMSS16 full registration fee. This discount is non-transferable and only one promo code (discount) is allowed per person. To apply the discount, register online and enter the promotional code 16ACDFCHP.
Tools and Resources
Chapter Leader Exchange Follow-Up
Thank you for those who attended the HIMSS Innovation Center in Cleveland for the 2015 Chapter Leader Exchange (CLE). HIMSS constantly strives to provide relevant and helpful training to leadership, and appreciates the time and input our leaders bring to the table. Members can review any CLE presentation or workshop at the Chapter Leader Resource Area under “Chapter Leadership Essentials.” HIMSS will share feedback from this event to leaders once the 2015 Chapter Leader Exchange Survey Summary is completed. Please send any additional ideas to Chapter Staff.
Chapter Websites Update
HIMSS will begin holding Chapter POC calls starting in September beginning with a training session on Sept.9, from 2-3:30 p.m. central time. All leaders are invited to participate on the call.
- Home page content and pictures
- Uploading ads
- Content for Landing pages and general content
- Navigation for landing pages and general content
- Using the WYSIWYG editor (Tiny MCE version 4)
- Uploading a document
- Email: Sending a message, uploading email addresses
One specific item to note, when adding content requiring a link to a document, please use the following as the URL: //s3.amazonaws.com/rdcms-himss/files/production/public/ChapterContent/chapterprefixname/filename.
Please see the new training doc on the CLRA found here.