Call To Action
FY16 HIMSS Chapters Task Force – Call for Applications
HIMSS is now accepting applications for participation on the FY16 Chapters Task Force (CTF). The CTF which meets quarterly, and is led by the chair and vice-chair, is a group with the purpose of enhancing the relationship between HIMSS and its chapters. HIMSS values chapter leaders’ diverse and honest perspective, and encourages an exchange of ideas to strengthen the chapters program based on individual experiences.
The CTF will now mirror the structure of the national committees, and consist of 13 total members, including a chair, vice chair, and immediate past chair. Applicants will be selected based on levels of tenure and roles served on the board. Only one representative per chapter will be selected.
Please send questions to Chapter Staff.
Submit an application through May 29.
2015 mHealth Summit Call for Presentations Now Open
The 2015 mHealth Summit theme, “Anytime, Anywhere: Engaging Providers and Patients” will put a spotlight on the shift to mobile, patient-centered healthcare delivery as well as consumer adoption of wearables, apps and personal health devices. The Summit will take place Nov. 8-11 at the National Gaylord Resort and Convention Center in Washington, DC.
The mHealth Summit Call for Proposals is now open. Learn more about HIMSS’ initiatives regarding mHealth.
FY16 Chapter Sponsored Scholarships
The HIMSS Foundation is pleased to provide a simple way for HIMSS chapters to offer scholarship opportunities to student members and be recognized as a leader in supporting career development of chapter members. Please contact Maggie Van Vossen, manager, Professional Development, Career Services, for additional information. The cost for chapters is $7,500 per scholarship.
The Foundation will provide:
- $5,000 scholarship to one recipient
- Registration for recipient to attend the HIMSS Annual Conference and Exhibition
- Recognition of recipient at the Awards Gala, including two tickets to the Awards Gala
- Airfare for recipient to travel to conference
- Two night hotel stay for recipient near conference location
- Per diem to recipient for expenses incurred while attending the conference
- Web-based application and judging tools to ensure quality candidate chosen
- Scholarship reviewers from the Foundation Scholarship Committee to review all applications and to choose a recipient
- Announcement of call for applications to the HIMSS Membership and marketing of the Chapter Scholarship call for applications
- Promotional materials and link to application for chapter announcements
The Chapter will receive:
- Recognition at the HIMSS Chapter Leader Workshop
- Recognition throughout the year in HIMSS’ publications, website and foundation materials
- Ability to select the name of the scholarship and to determine the specific purpose of the scholarship:
- Level (baccalaureate, master, doctoral, post-doctoral)
- Specialization (management, information systems, management engineering, etc.)
- Specific criteria (RN, MD, from a specific state or locality, etc.)
The criteria for each of the scholarships vary by chapter. Please refer to the chapter’s scholarship webpage for the specific criteria for each chapter. The scholarship winner, in addition to the benefits listed above, is asked to serve as a student liaison to the chapter board. View the HIMSS chapter scholarships.
2015 Chapter Leader Exchange
The 2015 Chapter Leader Exchange will be held at the HIMSS Innovation Center in Cleveland, Ohio, on July 14 and 15. Similar to previous years, HIMSS will cover airfare and a one-night stay at the host hotel for one board representative per HIMSS chapter. Note that the initial invitation was sent to chapter presidents only on May 12, to avoid confusion and ensure that all chapters have an opportunity to send at least one board member. Registration is open to additional chapter leadership after designated representatives from each chapter have been established. Chapter presidents are asked to determine the designated chapter representative and begin the registration process. Please send any follow-up questions to Chapter Staff.
Tools and Resources
Veterans Career Services Update
The goal of the HIMSS Veterans Career Services (VCS) Initiative is to assist veterans, transitioning service members, and military spouse population gain access to professional development and career support resources in order to prepare for jobs in health IT. Jobs within health IT, according the bureau of labor statistics, are expected to grow upwards of 21 percent over the next four years. Many transitioning military members are tech-savvy, and may already possess skills that would be transferable to jobs in the field of health IT.
VCS resources are constantly expanding to meet the needs of the veteran population including the following information:
- CAHIMS certification
- vMentor program
- Monthly VCS webinar series
- Complimentary registration to HIMSS events
- One-year complimentary Hero’s Welcome membership (includes chapter affiliation)
With the success of the program for HIMSS15 (16 chapter sponsors), HIMSS is excited to begin planning veteran events for HIMSS16. This year, HIMSS will once again ask for chapter support of travel honorariums for VCS guests to attend. The call for applications will be open August-October. Contact Amy Justice, program manager, HIMSS Veterans Career Services, for details.
Additionally, VCS is adding a new opportunity at HIMSS16, the VCS Shadow Program. This program will match a VCS guest with a chapter volunteer. The volunteer will offer to spend a day with the guest at HIMSS16 showing them the ropes. This happened by chance at HIMSS15, and was a great experience for both parties, so HIMSS is making it an official opportunity this year.
Just because HIMSS15 is over doesn’t mean the fun has to end! Annual conferences sessions will be available online and via streaming services. This virtual extension of HIMSS15 offers dynamic, cost-effective access to select portions of the conference through education and real-time interaction.
HIMSS15 Online offers:
- Live simulcast keynotes
- Live education sessions
- Live moderated chat
- Live exhibit floor broadcasts
- On-demand access to whitepapers and product briefs
- On-demand session access
- Conference highlights and news broadcasts
- Full access to network with live and online conference participants
- Continuing education credits, including: CPHIMS, CAHIMS, CME, CNE and PDUs
- Games vs. other HIMSS Online participants, with valuable prizes
Participants can interact with other registrants, recieve on-demand contact, and conference vendor products and services.
2015 Chapter Leader Survey
HIMSS looks for all HIMSS Chapter Leadership help better understand what issues and concerns effect local board members. To do so, participate in the 2015 Chapter Leader Survey and provide feedback by May 29. Input could help shape innovative solutions for future leadership.
Feel free to provide any suggestions to make your job as a volunteer easier as well as continue to strengthen our resources. If any question does not apply to your role as a chapter leader, please disregard and leave blank. Send any questions to Chapter Staff.