Adjusting the HIMSS Mission to Best Meet Health Challenges
HIMSS President & CEO Hal Wolf discusses his view on the direction of healthcare innovation. He recently shared how HIMSS adjusted its mission to best reflect how information and technology can help healthcare meet today's challenges! Watch the video here.
Call to Action
Finding your Voice at the HIMSS Interoperability Showcase™
Be heard, find like-minded people, and connect with the Interoperability Showcase at HIMSS18! Over three days, 75 organizations using over 116 products and initiatives will be exchanging data live within 20 demonstrations focused around clinical stories. Discover the HIMSS Interoperability Showcase™ – a premier 34,000-square-foot exhibition that demonstrates the interoperability imperative for connecting health and care.
Set up an exclusive tour for your chapter today or join the Chapter Leader Tour on March 7 at 1p.m. PT, learn more from our experts, and engage in the conversation. The HIMSS Interoperability Showcase™: Connections that Transform Health.
Each of our use cases have geographic nuances and opportunities for HIMSS chapter engagement. For example, if
The Interoperability Showcase™ provides a practical look at the technology, processes, and people behind these scenarios. Visitors to the Showcase can engage with technical subject matter experts who will explore how their standard-based technologies support improved patient outcomes.
- you reside in a county that faces higher overdose rates from the opioid crisis
- your organization is looking at new value-based care models, or
- you live in a region with a high risk of diabetes.
Our full HIMSS18 Interoperability Showcase Demo Use Case list includes:
Visit our website to learn more.
- Battlefield to Bedside
- Birth Reporting and NICU
- Cancer, Registry, Discovery & Research
- Cardiovascular and Diabetes Risks
- Connecting Virtual Teams: Smart Care for HepC
- Heart Attack
- Immunization and Vaccination
- Labor and Delivery
- Nationwide Care Transitions
- Opioid Addiction Care
- Public Health Reporting
- Reinventing Medication Management
- Telehealth & Stroke Continuum of Care
- Transplant Care
- Value-Based Care
Stay tuned for additional interoperability events and activities on the HIMSS18 website after the holiday season, including HIMSS18 Mobile App tour booking!
What to Expect for 2018 Interoperability Standards Advisory
As we look toward 2018, the Office of the National Coordinator is planning to expand the ISA further than before, with the additions of new stakeholders and resources to improve usability and recently requested feedback on these additions. Chapter Leaders can learn more about the ISA focused explicitly on interoperability in clinical health IT systems..
Learn more about this important topic in this blog post.
Chapter Activities at HIMSS18
Mark your calendars for March 5 – 9, 2018 in Las Vegas, Nev., for the 2018 HIMSS Conference & Exhibition. We hope that you can attend this year!
- Chapter Leadership Workshop – Chapter Leader/Chapter Advocate Workshop scheduled for Monday, March 5, 2018 from 2-4:30p.m. PT – register now.
- Chapter Receptions – 38 chapters are participating in 23 chapter receptions hosted during HIMSS18. HIMSS staff are promoting the receptions on the conference website. HIMSS staff must approve all chapter receptions.
- Chapter Leader Interoperability Showcase Tour – Join fellow Chapter Leaders on a guided tour of the Interoperability Showcase on March 7 from 1-2p.m. PT. Chapter Leaders soon will receive calendar invitations.
- Promote HIMSS18 & Chapter Membership – HIMSS has created a Chapter Marketing Toolkit to help promote the conference to both members and non-members. Find more information in the Tools & Resources section.
- Discount Code – As a token of our appreciation, we offer all chapter leaders a $100 discount off one regular individual HIMSS18 full registration fee. This discount is non-transferable, and only one discount code allowed per person. To apply the discount, you must register online and enter the promotional code 18DISCHP.
- HIMSS18 Chapter Challenge – HIMSS is challenging all chapters to use the toolkits to help promote the conference and boost registration. Prizes include a comp registration and use of a hospitality suite! There will be four winning chapters – more information available here.
HIMSS18 Communities Carnival
On Tuesday, March 6, from 5-6:30 p.m. PT, the Palazzo Ballroom at the Venetian will transform into the HIMSS Communities Carnival, showcasing the wonderful opportunities HIMSS offers. This is an excellent time to explore HIMSS offerings by engaging with HIMSS volunteers, community liaisons, and staff who will be spotlighting HIMSS chapters, content, volunteer opportunities, education, career advancement, advocacy, and much more.
The Midway will feature carnival games, snacks and beverages, plus fabulous raffle prizes. Complete the Take me to the Midway sign-up prior to March 1 and receive an extra raffle submission for the grand prize.
All HIMSS18 attendees are welcome at this fun and interactive event. Please send any questions to email@example.com, subject line: HIMSS Communities Carnival.
Tools & Resources
Encourage Member Registration by Promoting Your Chapter’s HIMSS18 Participation
As a HIMSS Chapter Leader, you know the importance of having your region represented at the HIMSS Annual Conference & Exhibition. The more chapter members who attend HIMSS18, the more they connect with other members and the more knowledge they bring back to share. The HIMSS Integrated Marketing Communications team has created the HIMSS18 Chapter Toolkit to help you:
The toolkit contains a variety of complimentary marketing and promotional materials for your use:
- increase member presence and networking at the conference; and
- encourage your members to register early and increase your chances of winning the HIMSS18 Chapter Challenge.
Get started here.
- Banners for website placement
- Carousel image for website placement
- Flyers for print and online publication
- Social media tips and sample posts
2018 HIMSS Cybersecurity Survey
HIMSS needs your voice! As part of our ongoing health information and technology research efforts, we are asking you to share your thoughts on the 2018 HIMSS Cybersecurity Survey. Instituted as an annual cybersecurity survey in 2015, the HIMSS Cybersecurity Survey gauges the perceptions and practices of U.S. healthcare organizations on a number of cybersecurity topics facing the health sector. This year’s survey builds off the baseline cybersecurity posture of healthcare organizations established in previous surveys and explores the critical security themes and emerging cybersecurity threats.
Why should you and your chapter members participate?
Stakeholder feedback is crucial, so provide your feedback today! Please be assured that all responses to the survey are confidential and results only will be presented in aggregate.
- Gain insight into how your organization’s cybersecurity program compares to your peers.
- Understand what healthcare providers and third party vendors are doing to safeguard health information.
- Learn about opportunities to improve healthcare cybersecurity.
2017 December Chapter Leader Webinar – Professional Development
On Dec. 6 we presented our December 2017 webinar topic, Professional Development, with presenter Mara Daiker, MS, CPHIMS, RHIA, senior manager, professional development, HIMSS North America, along with other HIMSS staff members. Our group learned more about HIMSS Professional Development tools, resources, and opportunities for chapters and chapter leaders. In addition, we discussed chapter engagement though advancement, communities, and special interest groups. There was also a focus on HIMSS Certification including
Listen to the presentation recording or view the presentation sides on the Chapter Leader Resource Area. Remember that we save all past chapter leader webinars, so feel free to review all of our offerings!
- certification application,
- testing process, and
- recertification requirements.
Check out the Clinical Informatics Insights newsletter. Like what you see? Subscribe!
|Members In Action|
Recognize outstanding Chapter board members or volunteers for above and beyond chapter accomplishments by submitting to HIMSS Members in Action.
|Upcoming Chapter Events|
Defining a Cyber Moonshot for the Health Industry | National Capital Area Chapter of HIMSS
Key Bridge Marriott | 1401 Lee Highway |Arlington, Virginia 22209
January 2018 Educational Event | New England Chapter of HIMSS
The Inn at Longwood | 342 Longwood Avenue | Boston, MA 02115
2018 New Year Mixer | South Florida Chapter of HIMSS
Corks Wine Bistro | 416 SW 145 Terrace | Pembroke Pines, FL 33027
2018 Executive Dinner | Washington Chapter of HIMSS
Seattle Tennis Club | 922 McGilvra Blvd E | Seattle, WA 98112
Healthy Tech & Talk: Cyber Security - Defending Your Network in 2018 | Central & North Florida Chapter of HIMSS
Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore | 2225 North Lois Avenue | Tampa, FL 33607
2018 Winter Symposium | Delaware Valley Chapter of HIMSS
Chemical Heritage Foundation | 315 Chestnut Street | Philadelphia, PA 19106
2018 Networking Reception & Winter Dinner | North Carolina Chapter of HIMSS
Grandover Resort & Conference Center | 1000 Club Rd | Greensboro, NC 27407Learn more
2018 Winter Event: CIO Panel Discussion & Fund Raiser | New Jersey Chapter of HIMSS
Forsgate Country Club | 375 Forsgate Dr | Monroe Township, NJ 08831
How HIT Can Be Leveraged to Aid in the Opioid Epidemic | Minnesota Chapter of HIMSS
Minnesota State Capitol Building | Room 316 | 75 Rev Dr Martin Luther King Jr Blvd. | St Paul, MN 55155
12th Annual Advocacy Day | Virginia Chapter of HIMSS
700 E Main St | Richmond, VA 23219
7th Annual Privacy & Security Forum | Southern California Chapter of HIMSS
City of Hope - Argyros Auditorium | 1500 E. Duarte Rd. | Duarte, CA 91010
January 2018 Educational Webinar: PACS Archiving
Healthy Tech & Talk - TeleHealth | Central & North Florida Chapter of HIMSS
Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront | 225 East Coastline Drive | Jacksonville, FL 32202
2018 Health IT Advocacy Day | Maryland Chapter of HIMSS
Governor Calvert House | Annapolis, MD
2018 CIO Forum | Midwest Gateway Chapter of HIMSS
St. Louis University Allied Health | 3437 Caroline Street | St. Louis, MO 63104
|Connect With HIMSS|
|Expand your network by connecting to HIMSS on these social media sites:|